Year round shipping available with the purchase of a heat pack during the cold seasons. 10% off sale on now (excluding gift cards)! Free expedited shipping within Ontario on all orders over $75 before taxes. Discounts are automatically applied to your cart upon check out.

How to pot your new plant from us!

A simple guide to potting your new plant from us!

We receive many requests from our customers looking for advice on how to plant their newest plant additions from us once they’ve arrived bare root.

Here’s a quick guide on how to pot up your new plants to keep them happy and healthy.

After unboxing your little guys ensure you have the appropriate gritty and free draining soil mixture prepared to plant them in. Succulents and cacti don’t like to sit in very organic substrate that retains a lot of moisture. We always suggest a soil mix that contains 70% fine gravel such as Akadama, pumice, lava rock, etc. as their roots are delicate. The other 30% should be succulent/cactus soil well mixed with the gravel.

A succulent planting tool kit with a mat(which we sell in our shop as well) is highly recommended as it makes the entire process so much easier with less mess to contend with when using the mat to contain any overflow of soil spilled.

When choosing a pot- pick a pot that has a drainage hole and that is an inch or two wider than your plant and a few inches deep to provide adequate room for your plants roots to grow depending on the size and type of plant your potting.

Once your substrate has been prepared- fill your pot halfway with the soil mix if your plant has a long root system or an inch from the rim of your pot if it’s a smaller plant like lithops/mesembs.

When planting larger plants with longer roots- place your plant roots on top of the soil in your half filled pot and bury the roots with the remaining soil you prepared being careful not to bury your plant too deep. Their roots should be completely buried and the stem should be provided with some support as to not fall over when moving or watering it. There should be at least a 1-2 inch space between the bottom leaves of your plant and your soil to prevent rot.

When planting small lithops and mesembs- fill the pot with your prepared soil mix and leave 1 inch of space from the rim of your pot. Use a spray bottle to dampen the top layer of the soil to make it easier to plant them. Using a chopstick or a hole making tool in your succulent tool kit make a shallow hole just deep enough to place the roots in and secure your mesembs by surrounding them securely with your soil mix. Be sure not to bury them too deep to prevent rot.

Add your favourite top dressing if you’d like and you’re finished!

We always suggest waiting a couple of days for them to rest once planted as they’ve been in transit for at least a few of days.

Give them a thorough watering after they’ve rested until water flows out of the draining hole. Keep your little ones in a spot that has indirect morning or evening sun to prevent them getting burned while still receiving the sunlight that they require.


This is a general guide so please do your research on your specific plant and it’s care requirements.

We hope this guide helps when adding your new addition to your collection!


Happy planting!🪴





1 comment

  • GREAT article Roger! Everyone will benefit from your advice here. I first planted my monkey tail into the mix you describe here when you first suggested it to me. I would think that, in addition to the great care you gave these babies, that this mix is another part of the reason they are growing like weeds (only much more beautiful! ;) ) and are very happy here. I did the same with all the lithops I bought from you too. Everything you say here is exactly what I do with all my new arrivals from you, and IT WORKS! Thank you for sharing your experience here with your customers, it really helps our new additions settle in and thrive. Keep up the GREAT work, it is appreciated by all of us plant lovers! :)


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published